Sophia’s Spiced Glühwein and Christmas Cocktail
Food & Drink
From Sophia’s Bar at the Charles Hotel in Munich, this recipe for glühwein (mulled wine) is a Christmas classic. Warm, aromatic and with a spicy kick, it’ll suitably warm your Yuletide guests this season. If you’re hosting a party, the delicious Christmas Cocktail with rum and mulled wine will be sure to add some sparkle to the proceedings.
750ml dry red wine
250g vanilla sugar
1 vanilla pod
2 cinnamon sticks
1) Peel the skin off one orange and cut the other orange in slices.
2) Combine the sliced orange, orange skin and all other ingredients together in a big pan. Heat gently so that the sugar dissolves.
3) When the sugar is completely dissolved, let the wine cool down and place it in a cool, dark, dry place to rest.
4) After a week, strain all the spices and fruits out, heat up the wine and serve it in a warm mug.
60ml Pyrat XO Reserve rum
75ml apple Juice
35ml fresh lemon juice
30ml mulled wine syrup
20ml egg white
Mulled wine syrup:
1 Part mulled wine
1 Part sugar
1) To make the mulled wine syrup, heat both ingredients in a pan until the sugar dissolves. Let it cool so you get a thick syrup.
2) Add all ingredients together in a cocktail shaker over ice, shake very well and strain into a cocktail coupe.
3) Garnish with dried orange slices.