The Balmoral’s Scottish Shortbread
Food & Drink
Soft, crumbly and sweet: there’s nothing quite like traditional Scottish shortbread. This simple recipe, exclusively from The Balmoral, is easy for little chefs to get stuck into, and the delicious end result is something the whole family can enjoy together. Serve alongside a quintessentially British cup of tea.
INGREDIENTS (Makes 25 shortbread rounds)
500g plain flour
280g unsalted butter
160g caster sugar
Pinch of salt to taste
1) Pre-heat your oven to 180°C and begin by beating the butter and the sugar together in a large bowl.
2) Gradually mix in the flour, taking care not to over mix the dough.
3) Roll out the dough to about 1cm thick and cut with a circular cutter or your child’s favourite cutter shapes.
4) Bake the shortbread in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes, until the shortbread reaches a pale golden-brown colour. Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving.
5) Why not decorate your shortbread with colourful icing pens or a layer of melted chocolate? Have fun getting creative with your kids!
Taste gourmet Scottish ingredients fused with fine, French-inspired cuisine at The Balmoral’s newly opened restaurant, Brasserie Prince from celebrated chef, Alain Roux. Click here to book a table or call 0131 557 5000.