Food & Drink
Heinz Beck’s Basil Ice Cream
07 September 2018
Perfectly perfumed, creamy and cooling, this lip-smacking basil ice cream recipe from Heinz Beck is the definitive treat to carry you through to autumn. Easy to make and heavenly to eat, serve it at your seasonal al fresco gatherings or eat straight from the tub with a spoon.
INGREDIENTS (makes 50 scoops)
1.5l whole milk
500g double cream
480g egg yolks
300g caster sugar
Small punnet of summer blackberries to decorate
1) Carefully boil the milk and double cream in a saucepan over a hob.
2) Whisk the egg yolks and sugar together in a large bowl, adding a little bit of the hot milk to the mixture so it doesn’t seize.
3) Add the blended eggs and sugar mixture to your hot milk then cook to 80 degrees.
4) Cool the mixture then blend the cream with the basil until there are no bits left and it turns a nice pale green colour.
5) Churn in an ice cream maker, or without one, transfer for a 2.75l tub or container and freeze for 3 hours, stirring every 15 minutes until it’s fully set.
6) Scoop and serve with fresh blackberries.