Sample Afternoon Tea Menu
Afternoon Tea at Palm Court
- Dine under our sparkling glass dome of Palm Court and indulge in the great British tradition of Afternoon Tea. The Balmoral Afternoon Tea is served with your choice of loose leaf teas or coffee.
- £45 per person*
- Champagne Afternoon Tea
- Enjoy a glass of Charles Heidsieck Brut Réserve with your Afternoon Tea.
- £60 per person*
- *Please note that during the month of August and December there will be an additional supplement.
SANDWICHES & SAVOURIES
- Haggis puff with red onion & neep relish
- Butternut squash, smoked venison & Elrik goat’s cheese tart
- Coronation chicken with baby gem, served in a wholemeal roll
- Heather honey & mustard glazed gammon
- Cucumber, Scottish crowdie & Nigella seeds
- Balmoral smoked salmon with nutmeg crème fraîche
- Egg mayonnaise, mustard cress, mini brioche
HOMEMADE SCONES, FRESH FROM THE OVEN
- With clotted cream and homemade Balmoral jam.
- Pear and Caramel Choux
- Chocolate Financier with chocolate cream, pomegranate and pistachio
- Crowdie Cheesecake with heirloom plums and speculoos spices
- Continue your Afternoon Tea experience with a Balmoral gift to take home.
- For more information or to make a reservation please call 0131 556 2414 or email: email@example.com
EMPEROR'S GOLDEN EYEBROW
- Wuyishan Nature Reserve, Fujian Province, China
- Exquisite black tea, also known as Jin Jun Mei, hand rolled entirely from tender spring buds by Master Wen in the protected forests of the Wuyishan. Over 100,000 buds are needed for one precious kilo. Only a few prized kilos can be crafted each year. Over multiple infusions expect tropical fruit, honeysuckle and burnt toffee. Best enjoyed without milk.
- Wuyi Mountains, Fujian Province, China
- A rare Chinese tea crafted to produce an astonishingly sweet black tea. Made from very young and tender spring leaves and golden buds that have been carefully kept whole during the hand rolling process. It is remarkably smooth with flavours of rich toffee, butterscotch and vanilla. Best enjoyed black without milk.
RARE BREAKFAST BLEND
- Sikkim, India, Shire Highlands, Malawi & Fujian, China
- Blended in the style of the original 19th century English Breakfast teas from only the finest leaves. This tea has a unique depth of flavour that combines the power of a breakfast tea with an elegant complexity. It is made from hand crafted, single estate, black teas from India, Africa and China. It has a rich and aromatic honey nose with a deep malty finish.
- Satemwa Estate, Malawi & Reggio Calabria, Italy
- A traditional Earl Grey blended with pure Bergamot oil from the ancient orchards of Calabria. This is a classic British tea made to exacting standards. A clean and exceptionally bright infusion with exhilarating citrus notes. It can be enjoyed with or without milk, or a twist of lemon zest.
2ND FLUSH MUSCATEL SIKKIM
- Temi Estate, Sikkim, India
- High in the Indian Himalayas, at the border with Darjeeling and Tibet, lies the secret region of Sikkim. Not as famous as its Darjeeling neighbour, it makes a black tea of such delicious delicacy that it makes the heart soar. This tea has a heady, floral aroma with soft notes of muscatel grapes. Best enjoyed without milk.
- LaKyrsiew Garden, Meghalaya, India
- A fragrant black tea from the “Abode of Clouds” – an area located high in the cloudy hills between Assam and Darjeeling. Light and floral as a Darjeeling with the rich caramel and malty notes you expect from the best Assam. This harvest has exceptional notes of apricot. Best enjoyed without milk.
GREEN WHOLE LEAF
- Fuding, Fujian Province, China
- An exquisite Chinese green tea that is meticulously hand crafted. The leaves are fired in a wok over charcoal in the same way and in the same place they have been made for over 3,000 years. Clean, bright and remarkably delicate.
- Hangzhou, Zhejiang Province, China
- The most succulent and fragrant of green China teas. Picked in the early spring before the first rains, it has a fresh sweetness with rich green vegetal flavours and a subtle note of hazelnuts.
- Shizuoka, Japan
- Top grade Sencha with organic, Japanese brown rice. Crafted by Moriuchi-san - one of the most revered tea masters in Japan - on his two hundred year-old family run tea garden. This Sencha is remarkably complex and deep. Rich, verdant notes with a deep comforting aroma of popcorn.
NEPALESE HIMALAYAN SPRING
- Jun Chiyabari Estate, Nepal
- A hand rolled Nepalese green tea from Jun Chiyabari that truly exemplifies the idea of terroir. This early spring pick originates from one specific field, one specific harvest. Tropical fruit, mango, cooked pineapple and lychee notes yet low in acidity.
- Anxi, Fujian Province, China
- This Chinese oolong is known as the Iron Goddess of Mercy (Tie Guan Yin). Crafted to the exact point at which the leaves reveal their hidden subtleties. It has rich floral aromas leading to a perfectly balanced mineral finish. The first infusion has a succulent sweetness with later infusions leading to green floral notes. Each time you infuse the leaves different subtleties are revealed.
JASMINE SILVER TIP
- Fuding, Fujian Province, China
- A delicate white tea crafted entirely from spring buds. The tea is not flavoured but carefully scented over six consecutive nights with fresh Jasmine flowers. Once the preserve of the Chinese Imperial family. A deep and heady aroma with a light and gentle flavour.
- Tregothnan Estate, Cornwall, UK
- A rare English peppermint grown on the private botanical garden of Tregothnan - a tea estate in Cornwall. Counterintuitively, the menthol oils infuse more easily from the dried leaf, giving a brighter, cleaner flavour than fresh mint. Powerful and uplifting with a gentle approach leading to a long finish.
WHOLE CHAMOMILE FLOWERS
- Slavonija & Podravina, Croatia
- These delicate flowers are carefully dried and kept intact for a sweet and soft flavour. Clean and subtle, these flowers are also wonderfully calming and, of course, caffeine free.
- Sri Lanka, Malawi & France
- A truly global blend. Vibrant lemongrass from Sri Lanka and Malawi has been blended with soft, smooth French lemon verbena. A full-bodied infusion with grassy notes of fresh hay and the sweetness of lemon drops.
- Gujarat, India
- Beautifully fragrant, bright and heady petals. Can be enjoyed on their own, infused with tea or used for cooking or cocktails.
- Now available in Palm Court, our irresistible Viennoiseries are freshly baked every morning to the highest, most delicious standards we expect at The Balmoral.
- Croissant - £4.50
- Our croissant dough is handmade over three days by the traditional lamination method. During the process, a yeasty dough and butter layers are built up in equal and even quantities to produce a 26 layer dough. As it winds around itself into a formed pastry, this act produces 96 identifiable layers before baking.
- Pain au Chocolat £4.50
- The Balmoral pain au chocolat is made from our signature croissant dough, filled with Felchlin chocolate and caramelised with brown sugar.
- Cinnamon and Vanilla Roll £4.50
- Our cinnamon and vanilla roll is formed from the trimmed dough created by the croissant and pain au chocolat production, which is then rolled with muscovado sugar and cinnamon from Sri Lanka, glazed with Madagascan vanilla fondant.
- All items are served with butter and The Balmoral strawberry jam.
- Available from 9.00am to Noon daily