At the Balmoral
The Balmoral 1 Princes Street, Edinburgh , EH2 2EQ
Opened on October 15th 1902, our hotel was originally known as the North British. Acclaimed as one of the great railway hotels, it originally boasted 300 bedrooms and 52 bathrooms. It was later renamed The Balmoral — which means “majestic dwelling” in Gaelic.
At the station
Hotel porters in red jackets used to meet guests off the train at Waverley Station, taking them into a lift and whisking them from the station hall to the reception desk in the hotel.
Our notable guests have included Sophia Loren, Elizabeth Taylor, Paul McCartney, Edward Heath and Harold Wilson. The Queen Mother was a regular for lunch. Her favourite dish was plain roast lamb.
Recent Awards & Accolades
- Restaurant of the Year - CIS Excellence Awards 2016
- Group Hotel of The Year - CIS Excellence Awards 2016
- Joint award for Bar of the Year - 2016 Scottish Hotel Awards
- Gold Laurel Award - Scottish Hotel Awards 2016
- Regional Award for Family Hotel of the Year (Edinburgh & The Lothians) - 2016 Scottish Hotel Awards