Gary Robinson’s Boxing Day turkey, sausage and pea risotto
Food & Drink
18 December 2019
The morning after Christmas Day inevitably means leftovers, often turned into a basic pie or curry. This year, follow Executive Chef Gary Robinson’s simple recipe to create a flavourful risotto to bring your leftover lunch back to life.
Ingredients (serves 4):
- 2 fat herby pork sausages
- A couple of handfuls of leftover turkey meat, ripped into bite sized pieces
- 2l turkey stock
- 50g butter
- 1 very finely chopped onion
- 400g risotto rice
- 125ml dry white wine
- 2 tblsp tomato passata
- 150g frozen peas
- 75g cold butter, diced
- 100g finely grated Parmesan
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1) Chop the sausages into small pieces. Bring your stock to a rolling simmer next to where you are going to make the risotto.
2) Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed saucepan and add the onion and sausages. Cook gently until the onion is softened, but not coloured (about five minutes). Add the rice and stir to coat in the butter. Make sure all the grains are warm and coated before adding the wine. Let the wine evaporate completely, then when the onion and rice are dry start to add the stock, a ladleful at a time - adding the passata with the first ladleful - stirring and scraping the rice into the pan as you do so.
3) When each addition of stock has almost evaporated, add the next ladleful. Carry on cooking for about 15 minutes, adding stock as before. After about 12 minutes add the turkey and peas. Slow up on the stock towards the end so the rice doesn't become soupy, as when you add the butter and parmesan, it will become too sloppy.
4) Turn down the heat and allow the risotto to rest for a minute, then with a wooden spoon, vigorously beat in the cold diced butter and finally the Parmesan, making sure you shake the pan energetically as you beat.
5) Season to taste and serve right away, piping hot.
If you don’t feel like cooking at all, enjoy a delicious post-Christmas meal at The Balmoral. Book your stay by emailing email@example.com or calling +44 131 556 2414, or book your table here.