Story & Awards
At The Charles Hotel
The Charles Hotel Sophienstrasse 28, 80333 Munich
Built on the site of a former university library, our hotel was established in 2007 as part of the new Lenbach Gardens. It was named in honour of Sir Rocco Forte’s father, renowned hotelier Lord Charles Forte. Our Monforte Royal Suite bears the name of the Italian village where the family originated.
19th Century Art
Our hotel displays a large collection of original paintings by Munich’s celebrated 19th century artist, Franz von Lenbach. The painter once lived just a footstep away.
Art Deco Curves
Like the hotel designed by architect Christoph Sattler, many pieces were inspired by the building’s Art Deco curves, such as the sofas shaped to mirror the hotel façade.
Recent Awards & Accolades
- Schlummer Atlas Top 50 Hotelier of the year 2014 - Schlummer Atlas
- Tripadvisor - Travellers Choice 2015 - Tripadvisor
- Tripadvisor Certificate of Excellence - Tripadvisor
- Finest Address Award 2015 - Finest Address
- Schlummer Atlas Top 50 Hotelier of the year 2015 - Schlummer Atlas