Alice in Wonderland Afternoon Tea
Food & Drink, Culture
17 January 2019
Villa Kennedy’s perfect scones a teatime favourite, there’s nothing quite so delicious mid-afternoon as a warm scone, fresh from the oven and slathered in clotted cream and jam. Homemade scones are a mainstay of Villa Kennedy’s much-loved Afternoon Tea service, and this February the hotel will be hosting a very special Afternoon Tea inspired by Lewis Carroll’s enchanting story Alice In Wonderland.
Ideal for little ones, the Alice In Wonderland Afternoon Tea will include a session with a storyteller, who’ll delight guests with tales from the magical world of Alice, along with a tempting range of freshly baked goods inspired by the book. Included in the tea, this failsafe scone recipe is perfect to make with budding young bakers at home.
Makes 20 scones
1 kg flour
240 g sugar
360 g butter
20 g baking powder
Pinch of salt
2 g cinnamon
3 g lemon zest
1 vanilla pod
125 g eggs
1. Preheat oven to 160°C.
2. Combine all ingredients apart from the egg in a mixer and knead well.
3. Once mixed, let the dough rest a little and put it in the fridge covered.
4. When rested, roll out the chilled dough to a thickness of approx. 3 cm. Cut out circular shapes with a round cutter, place on a baking tray lined with baking paper and brush with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with sugar before baking.
5. Bake for approx. 12-15 minutes at 160°C.
6. Serve warm with clotted cream and strawberry jam.